Borders are the limit [short stories series] II


Photo by Ehab Mustapha ©

Episode Two
[Don't use/sell drugs. El Paso TX USA 2015]


It was a very long journey I've had in the bus. From the deep south of the state of Mississippi across the huge land of the United States of America towards the west. We have had many stops among the way but this particular next stop was different. After long hours crossing the state of Texas (which seemed endless) we finally came to our stop in a little town on the borders of Mexico called El Paso. [Which means the step] 

I think the reason why it's called that because the nature of the land is a big hill surrounded by the desert. If you stand in an open area you can easily see  parts of Mexico, I can remember the names of the two cities were cuidad  juàrez and Chihuahua (where famous dog breed is bred I assume) walking down the city of El Paso you don't feel you are still in the United States of America.  Mariachi music coming out from each little store, the smell of roses and spices are in the air. Local Mexican looking people everywhere. Even the Spanish language is hearable by everyone. I couldn't hide my excitement as I enjoyed having a quick walk to see the little town of El Paso. 

I went back to the bus station cause I knew the bus will take off within a couple of hours plus I had to wait for the customs' employees to show up at their desks to ask them to make sure to add all my luggage to the new bus we were going to take. As I was taking few steps inside the station two tall strict looking people with a k-9 dog showed up out of no where and came very close to me almost where I can't take a further step forward!

Man 1: "¿como te llamas?" (What is your name?)
Me: "what??" 
Man 2: "¿No habla Español?" (Don't you speak Spanish?)
Me: "No! What's going on here?"

As the second man showed me a badge. The first man was leaning towards my back bag they I had on the floor at the point. 

Man 1: "calm down Mr...? This is the authority of El Paso customs"
Me: "okay? What is this about?" 
Man 2: "just a regular check up, what is your name? Where is your ID?"

As confused as I was I still handed him my passport "can you tell me at least why is all this happening? Officer? I can call you officer can't I?" I said to the man who hardly looked to my eyes snatching the passport of my hand. 

Man 2: " where are you traveling?" 
Me: "I'm heading to Arizona..."
Man 2: "why?"
I laughed and automatically said something like "for real?" Or "yeah, right" can't remember at the moment what did I really said but it did not make them happy at all, they both gave me that look (don't act smart look) the second man gave some order to the dog who started going in circles around me and my back bag wiggling his tail. It was a very fine well-trained German shepherd dog. Very smart eyes. 

The first officer who now has my passport looked at it for the longest time, he kept turning the pages as if he is looking for something. "Since when do you have this traveling document? Aren't you Mexican? American?" I was very confused and started to feel a little bit worried now. These two officers are treating me like some kind of a drug dealer of some sort. 

I started to take the whole situation as light and funny as possible cause regardless the fact I'm not carrying anything on me of which these two officers are looking for, I am only a traveler, right? The cute little dog decided to bark once. Right when I was chuckling saying "Sir I only have one nationality and that is Egyptian" right after that the dog barked at me once! And then we all indulged into silence. I forgot to mention that this whole scene came to a good amusement by other travelers and pass byers in the station who all decided to watch what's going on and how is this going to end. 

Man 1: "what do you got on you?" 
Me: "umm...what do you mean?"
Man 2 (loosing patience) "drugs! What drugs do you carry and where do you hide them?" 
Me: "oh no! I don't carey no drugs!"
Man 1: "well the dog just barked at you!"
Me: "oh yeah I heard that, cute!" 
Man 2: "that is a very well trained dog who can't just bark unless there is a reason, now you better tell us and co-op for your favor"
Me: "with all do respect sir, the dog can be hungry or want to have a break or something. I'm not carrying any substance with me!!" 

The dog barked again at this moment. This time he shoke his tail a little bit right before he stood on his back legs and tries to put his front paws on my shoulders. I took a step back while the two men holding the dog away from me and it seems like they got more aggressive after that second bark. "Good dog" I said. 

The first officer simply grabbed my back bag while the second officer pull the dog closer to dog closer to him. 
Man1: "excuse me I can't say your last name, but you gotta come with us for few minutes, gotta make sure this passport is legit" 
All my attempts to make him understand that I have a bus to catch and luggage to swap between buses went with the wind. As I was following him through aisles towards some office. He asked me to sit down on a chair next to the door and they both went inside...with my belongings!

Again time started passing by heavy and slow. What if miss my bus? What if I can't swap my luggage? Will I lose my stuff? I had a suitcase full of new clothes and shoes I haven't even wore! I snapped out of my thoughts when I started having even a deeper layer of thoughts; what if those officers are corrupted? What if they claim I had substance and put it in my luggage? Then I will be arrested! Should I text my Mom? Or one of my brothers? Would they believe me then? I caught myself saying a prayer to the two officers hoping they are as legit as my passport! 

The station started to be some what empty after an hour, the officers are behind that door and have not even bother coming out to check if I still was out there. There must be surveillance cameras..."call for bus number (can't remember) heading to Phoenix Arizona, all passenger got to make sure to go to gate number (doesn't matter)" 

Okay great they are calling for my bus. I should be on that bus! I gotta leave! But how? I stood up and went to the door very hesitant I knocked on the door. (Pause) knocked again...someone in police suite open the door and looked at me after saying "are you that Egyptian?" I think I've had an unintended creepy smile because of his uncomfortable look he gave me. "Yes, sir. I was wondering if I can get my stuff and leave now I gotta be on the bus. My bus is about to take off and..." He interrupted me almost hollering " okay, okay just few more minutes, we are about to be finish here." He told me that and slammed the door back shut. 

I went back to the same chair, I sat there and I looked into the space. The small station is getting empty as more buses have already took off. They were still calling for my bus..."last call for the bus number....heading to Phoenix Arizona..." 
I looked outside the sun was getting ready to go to other side of the world. The sky had that beautiful moment of magic hour very colorful and beautiful. 

I started feeling alone, sad and unsafe...Thank you America. I'm here sitting on a chair in a bus station on the borders. All of a sudden I felt how stranger I was. I don't belong here. Then I remembered when I was arrested in Egypt once because the officer did not like the fact that I was from Alexandria. Can this world get any more insane? 

While I was indulged in my thoughts, the first officer came out all of a sudden handing me my passport and back bag "Sorry Mr. Shaltout, it has been a mistake, there was a drug smuggler who you all shared some resemblance. We had to make sure you are not the same person. Here you go. Enjoy your staying in The USA. You better go catch your bus." 

I did not even share no words with him, I took my stuff and I started walking towards the bus whose every single passenger on there was very pissed at me!! I tried to talk to the driver about my luggage, it was too late he asked me to either stay here and figure out where my luggage are or go to Arizona and figure out there? What did I do? 

I decided to take my chances in Arizona. I was ready to leave the town of El Paso. As the bus startedoving towards the west. I started Wondering where in the hell would that drug lord they mistakenly thought I was him would be now? Which side the Mexican? Or the American? 

Spring 2022
Jackson MS



Comments

Popular Posts